Trump threatens to permanently freeze funding in scathing letter to WHO

President Trump on Monday threatened to permanently stop US funding to the World Health Organization unless the body commits to “substantive improvements” within the next 30 days.

The announcement was made in a scathing letter Trump sent to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday and later shared screenshots of on Twitter.

“That is why it is my duty, as President of the United States, to inform you that, if the World Health Organization does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of United States funding to the World Health Organization permanent and reconsider our membership in the organization,” Trump wrote.

“I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organization that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving American’s interests,” the letter continued.

The president in the letter said his administration has been in talks with the WHO on “how to reform the organization,” without elaborating on the measures.

Trump in mid-April suspended payments to the WHO and directed his administration to review whether the agency mishandled its response to the coronavirus pandemic coming out of China.

In Monday’s letter, Trump said the “review has confirmed many of the serious concerns I raised last month and identified others that the World Health Organization should have addressed, especially the World Health Organization’s alarming lack of independence from the People’s Republic of China.”

Earlier Monday, Trump said the WHO had “done a very sad job” in its handling of the virus and he would make a decision soon on U.S. funding.

The WHO also said earlier Monday an independent review of the global virus response would begin as soon as possible and it received backing and a hefty pledge of funds from China, in the spotlight as the origin of the pandemic.

With Post wires

Source: Read Full Article