Taxi driver grandad, 61, dies of coronavirus after £9 fare-dodger claiming to have virus SPAT at him, family reveal – The Sun

A TAXI driver has died with coronavirus after being spat at by a fare-dodger claiming to have the disease, a family friend has said.

Trevor Belle, 61, died in the Royal London Hospital on April 18, having tested positive for Covid-19.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

The East Londoner had been spat at just weeks earlier by a passenger who owed him £9, according to his friend Damian Briggs.

After the incident in Stratford on March 22, Mr Belle began to feel unwell with symptoms of coronavirus.

Mr Briggs said: "A few days later he got rushed into hospital, he spent three weeks battling it and unfortunately didn't make it to the end."

The new granddad died three days after his 61st birthday.

His friend added: "It's devastating that he's caught it doing his job."

After his death, Mr Belle's blood was donated to research into the effects of Covid-19 in people from BAME communities.


Describing his friend, Mr Briggs said:  "Best way I can describe Trev is just a jovial person who, as serious as life is, would always find a way to get a smile on your face so you can take your mind off the problem.

"It was very rare you saw something that bothered this guy.

"No matter how bad it was, he always found a way to have a laugh and chuckle."

Mr Briggs has set up a GoFundMe page in memory of Trevor, which has so far raised more than £6,000.

Tributes have flooded in for the "lovely guy," with one person writing on the site: "Very sad and shocked to hear about the death of Trevor.

"He was a very nice and friendly person with an amazing sense of humour. May his soul rest in eternal peace."

Earlier this month, train station worker Belly Mujinga, 47, died from coronavirus after being spat and coughed at at Victoria Station in London.

Downing Street described the attack as "despicable", with the Prime Minister's official spokesman adding: "Our thoughts are with Mrs Mujinga family's at this terrible time."

Source: Read Full Article