MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry pledged the money generated from their royal wedding broadcast to help the Feeding Britain charity.
And now it has been revealed that their £90,000 donation has helped to provide 250,000 meals to struggling Brits during lockdown.
The charity's director Andrew Forsey told Fabulous: “The Duke and Duchess' generous support covers the costs of distributing 250,000 meals across our network.
“All of those meals are being distributed through our emergency food response during the coronavirus lockdown.”
A spokesperson for the couple – who are now living in LA following Megxit – previously said Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are "delighted" the money is going towards "such a great cause".
The couple tied the knot two years ago to the day on May 19, 2018 at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.
The duke and duchess reportedly told the Archbishop of Canterbury – who is President of Feeding Britain – that they wanted the money to go to the charity after UK schools closed in March.
The publication reports that any excess profits from their BBC wedding broadcast – which was watched by over 18m people in the UK – was always going to be donated to a charity of the couple's choice.
However, Meghan and Harry were reportedly notified of the £90,000 as the coronavirus crisis broke and wanted to support the Archbishop of Canterbury's chosen charity as he conducted their wedding ceremony.
Meghan and Harry's 2018 royal wedding
Shortly after their engagement was revealed, it was confirmed the wedding between Harry and Meghan will be held on Saturday, May 19, 2018.
The couple tied the knot at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.
Charles and Camilla had their televised blessing there in 2005 and it offered the couple a more low key venue than Westminster Abbey, where Kate Middleton and Prince William got married.
St George's Chapel can accommodate 800 guests, whereas the Abbey seats 2,000.
BBC One, ITV and Sky all broadcasted the historic union.
Andrew Forsey says the donation will allow the charity to "keep breakfast, lunch and dinner, so three square meals, on the table of many tens of thousands of children across our network."
He added to Fabulous: "The incredibly generous support we're receiving from the Duke and Duchess is enabling our emergency food programme to bring much-needed relief – in the form of hundreds of thousands of meals – to so many families during these incredibly challenging times.
“Families who were already vulnerable before the pandemic are now even more so, having been impacted by a catastrophic mix of low income and isolation."
The charity works in 12 areas across the UK and has also set up bases in London and Scotland since the coronavirus crisis began to run their emergency food programme for those in need.
In January 2019, Meghan and Harry visited Feeding Britain's first citizens supermarket based in Birkenhead.
Andrew added: "The magic that they left on the town that day has been carried forward through this very generous donation."
A spokesperson for the couple said: "The Duke and Duchess were able to speak to the Archbishop recently, and were moved to hear all about the work Feeding Britain was doing to support people during Covid-19."
"They have particularly fond memories of their visit to the citizens' supermarket in Birkenhead, especially the generosity and compassion of everyone working there to help others.
"They are delighted to be able to ensure this money is donated to such a great cause."
We shared how chatty Archie calls Prince Harry ‘Dada’ as he films him and Meghan Markle at their LA home.
And royal fans have pointed out that Archie looks the spitting image of his dad in the new video.
Meanwhile, Piers Morgan says he made things ‘too personal’ with Meghan and Harry as he admitted he ‘took it too far’.
Source: Read Full Article